10.22.2010

Organized Nostalgia

I’m definitely so on Central time it’s not even funny. I popped awake around 0530, and had to make myself go back to sleep. And then again about once an hour for the next three hours. I probably would have just gone ahead and gotten up, but my brother had very sweetly let me have the bed, which meant he was sleeping out on the couch, and I didn’t want to wake him by wandering around the suite.

Once he woke up he had to go run a few errands, so I took the opportunity to get some BodyFlow in, which I most certainly needed, in light of yesterday’s extended airplane time. My left hamstring was particularly sulky. I was finishing up about the same time he got back, so we were able to take off on our adventures soon thereafter.

We drove around Fairchild for a while, with him pointing out pertinent areas. I will say that it’s really nice to be on base again- there’s just a certain feel to it that you just don’t get in the civilian world. For me it’s a very nostalgic, childhood feel. What’s more, everything is clearly labeled, and let me tell you I wish they’d get on board with that in the civilian world, I really do. But I guess the rest of the world is not use to its population turning over every three years. ::sigh:: Sometimes I really regret not going into the military…

After that we were starving, so David took me out to the one actually authentic Mexican restaurant in the area (you have to understand that authentic Mexican is perplexingly difficult to come by in the PNW), where we proceeded to stuff our bellies and groan with satisfaction. The drive out there took a while, and as we went I found myself thinking wistfully that it might not be such a bad thing to be settled down in a semi-rural area like this one, with family nearby. This comes hard on the heels of my recent borderline obsessive desire to throw a dinner-party. I don’t know: the moon must be hitting my Domestic Phase, or something. I wish I could do both- a little apartment in the city and a nice house out in a national park. That would be ideal. And friends and family nearby both.

Anyway.

We went back into Spokane to go to the movies, specifically to see Hereafter. I don’t particularly recommend it, which is a shame. I like Damon, and Eastwood is a fine director, but the movie… well, David and I both agreed that it just felt pointless. And it was far, far too long to get away with feeling pointless. Plus the little British kids were just frigging off-putting.

We came back on base and did some bowling. Well, David did some bowling, and I did some throwing-a-ball-at-some-pins. I didn’t break 100 even once, which was kind of below-average for me (although not by much). Then again, I hadn’t bowled in so long that I couldn’t remember the last time, so I don’t feel too poorly about it. Of course, I never feel bad about the way I bowl- I’ve long ago accepted that I’m just no good at it, no matter how my Mom (or in this instance, brother) try to fix me. It’s not even like darts, where at least I can increase my skill in proportion to my BAC.

After three games we just sort of sat around finishing up our beers (he knows me well enough that he got a pitcher of nice amber ale that I actually enjoyed drinking) and talking about our dreams for/theories on the future. It reminded me of how much I miss just sitting in a bar, shooting the shit with friends.

We came back to the hotel and watched Hot Tub Time Machine, which I do recommend to those of you who enjoy a good raucous comedy, and now I’m writing this entry. Tomorrow I’ll hit the road for Yakima, and he’ll start packing for Alaska. Adventures galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment