10.23.2010

Grey Gone Gold

Popped awake around 0530 again- but this time I didn’t indulge in going back to sleep quite so many times. Instead I set about re-packing my bag, and then cheerfully bounced my brother awake a little before 0900. After all, we had to be checked out by 1100, and really I wanted to be on the road before noon, anyway.

After the typical morning-grunting, we gathered up the rest of our stuff and headed back out for Spokane with the sole purpose of breaking our fast. Originally David had suggested Satellite Diner, but on our way there we saw a little place called Rocket Bakery, and it intrigued us enough that, being the gastronomically adventurous folk we are, we found parking and checked it out.

Stepping in was like a huge shot (hah!) of nostalgia washing over me- it very much had that college-feel to it, and I have to say that I’m far enough removed from my job as a barista that the smell of coffee is once again comforting (as opposed to stress-inducing) to me. We sat at the bar and carb-loaded and people-watched and discussed the fact that on the whole we prefer smaller, “unimportant” cities like Spokane, if for no other reason than they are highly unlikely to be the target of any sort of major bombing. Plus it just reminds me of Tacoma (where I went to University) which is both good and bad and good. You know.

(One negative: I got up to order a hot cocoa and as I waited for the barista’s attention I watched her make lattes for the people ahead of me. I was so grossed out by her poor bar-hygeine [wiping the steam-wand isn't really an optional thing, in my opinion] that I changed my mind and went cocoa-free…)

Once we finished up there David drove me out to the airport so I could pick up my rental car. The guy at the desk was so charming that he talked me into an upgrade, which is how I found myself driving across Eastern Washington in a Kia Soul (ie, the “rapping hamsters car”). I actually rather like it, uber-tiny little SUV that it is. It handled itself well in the rain, which was the main selling point of Mr. Up-Sell, so I figure it was worth the extra five bucks.

And then came about three and a half, maybe four hours of driving through some lovely countryside. I do so love the skies out here- they seem to stretch on and on, their vastness only punctuated by the mountains on the horizon. I contemplated the sea of gold fields contrasting with the silver-gray of the skies, and wondered if I could make it work as a decorative theme. I also listened to Blue Bloods, by de la Cruz. I like her twist on vampirism, yes I do.

So now here I am in lovely Zillah, hanging out in my Comfort Inn room, wondering what sounds better- reading or a nap. Maybe I’ll just lay down with a book and see which wins out.

1 comment:

  1. Hope that neither won out and you got to do a little of both. Tacoma, been almost three years since I was there. Maybe I can take my little family up there one of these days.

    ReplyDelete