10.26.2010

Digging Myself Deeper

Well Ladies and Gents, here we are again, home in Birmingham. You might notice that as of the writing of this particular entry, I have not yet updated the "travelogue". And to be frank, it's just not going to happen until tomorrow (sorry, Mom). I'd planned to do it this evening after my flight landed, but then we ended up heading out to celebrate a family birthday, and now I'm full of headache and a desire to sleep in my own bed.

But I figure now is as good a time as any to let you guys in on my latest Queen Sized Endeavor (QSE being reference to the time I decided to learn how to quilt, and rather than start with a nice sampler or baby quilt I jumped right in with a- you guessed it- queen sized quilt. I have a habit of doing this with my creative projects... all or nothing, that's me...): I (along with a handful of similarly insane friends) will be participating in National Write a Novel Month, better known as NaNoWriMo (even better known as NANOMO! in my brain, because it sounds more hilarious). If you don't feel like going and reading all about it, here is the Need to Know part: I will be writing a 50,000 word novel from scratch in the month of November.

The "from scratch" part means that I can't use anything I've already written, which rules out quite a bit (::coughcoughPahlain::). As such, I'm diving back into my past to revive a story that puttered around in my brain for a long time but never really came to much. The tentative working title is The Fall of the Crow King, and it hearkens all the way back to my freshman year at college (that would be over ten years ago, now. Oi.) So we shall see how that goes. In the meantime, Nathan took a lovely image of me today that I thought would work really well as a mock novel cover (cart, then horse- heck yeah). If you want to follow my progress on this ridiculous project, here's my official page. Not that you'll be able to read what I'm churning out, but you'll at least be able to see the word count. Never fear, however- if you really want to read it, chances are quite good that more than a bit of it will end up on here anyway (completely unedited, so be kind) since in order to make the goal of 50k words in a month I'll need to be averaging about 1700 words a day- and I don't know that I'll always feel like doing that on top of my regular posts.

Again I say oi. November is going to be a jam-packed month.

1 comment:

  1. Very exciting. This does sound quite intriguing... I'll have to look up more, but I have a "slight" desire to give this a try myself, though I have never written anything longer than these silly comment posts. Though we'll see.

    ReplyDelete