6.23.2012

No One to Blame But Myself

Today's WOD was "Choose Your Own Adventure!" so that, as Jack said with a gleeful grin, we could not blame him if our workout sucked.  We were to choose between the numbers 1 and 2, and the letters A, B, or C.  I chose 2C, and I chose poorly*.

My WOD:

9-15-21 reps
Hang Cleans
Overhead Lunges (exept we were doing walking lunges)

The Rx for women was to do the reps with 65lbs.  I, however, picked up the 45lb bar and knew right off the bat that 65lbs was not going to happen for my hang cleans.  And when it came to the lunges- well, I did one practice lunge with the bar, and then a second lunge- and then I couldn't stand back up.  So I had to use the 35lb plate, which I do believe was a good weight for me.

(I say this because I did have to pause and shake out my arms a few times.)
Now that it's done, however, I feel I could have gone heavier with the hang cleans- they were tough, but I didn't really have to take a break until near the very end, so that tells me I could have gone harder.  Next time I'll try 55lbs.

It gets frustrating, sometimes, because I feel so much stronger than I was- and I am, I know I am- but then I see how much stronger the other women are and I just... feel not very strong at all.  But the only solution to that is to keep working at it- and to focus on the progress I have made.  For example, today I did all my warm-up pushups (two sets of 15) properly.  That is to say, I did real pushups, not girl pushups.  And I only had to pause when I hit 10 on my second set.  The first day I came to Crossfit I was not able to do more than like three strict pushups without needing a break.  So I am making progress... it's just sometimes hard to remember that I need to be comparing myself to myself, and not to the others.




*(I say I chose poorly because I hate doing the longest round of reps last- it's much easier to get them out of the way first.)

2 comments:

  1. Remember swimming? Your goal was to better your own "best" time first, actually winning was second. ;-)
    \Anonymous Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but when I have nothing previous to compare it to (like the pushups) then I fall back on the naughty habit of comparing myself to those around me... naughty, wicked me...

    ReplyDelete