6.09.2012

Hard Reset: Day Five (or: Keeping Busy)

It's been pretty drizzly, lately, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to bike to Crossfit this morning- but it turned out to be nice, and so I did.  I'm pretty glad I did, too, because it proved to be an excellent warmup for today's WOD:

In Teams of 2
400m Barbell Carry (95lbs )
100x Box Jumps
2 Miles buddy airdyne- One person pedals while the other works the arms for one mile, then switch for another mile.

For the first time ever I ended up partnered with someone who was not a billion times my fitness level, so I didn't have to feel guilty about being the weak link.  In fact, I was pretty excited that she, like me, had to do "box steps" rather than jumps (I can do them, and it makes me feel like a rock star, but it wrecks my knees for the week following, and it's just not worth it) so I wouldn't be slowing anyone down.

(Of course the ironic this is that, as it turned out, two people doing box steps can go a hell of a lot faster than two people doing box jumps...)

We tried several methods of carrying the barbell:
See how we could both be on the box at the same time, for a quicker transition?
I personally felt that method #3 was the best (it's what the other teams opted for) but my partner felt uncomfortable with it that way, so in the end we went with option #1.  I was slightly taller than her, which meant that method #3 put more weight on me,  so perhaps it's for the best, anyway...

After Crossfit Nathan and I took Isis to the Farmer's Market (where we got the most succulent cherries, which paired excellently with bacon for lunch), and then out on a brief hike.  It was the first time we'd put her in her backpack for a hike, and she bore it like a champ.  We also learned that we need to be more careful about balancing her load, or the whole thing lists... ah well, live and learn!

Once we got back from that I headed out to the church to work the coffee shop for a gallery opening- although as it turned out I made all of five drinks across two hours (it was supposed to be three hours, but they took pity on me and let me go early).  When I got home Nathan had made me Czech meatballs, which pretty much rocked my world.  And now it's time for bed, so I can get up and be busy again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment