6.17.2012

Hard Reset: Day Thirteen (or: Falling. A Lot.)

Isis had a very big day today.  We went up to Olympia and met up with her birth mother (and her birth mother's human mom) and had an excellent walk around the lake, followed by some got-a-leetle-too-rough play time.  The most exciting part of the whole experience came as we were posing the two of them on a bench together for some photos- and I managed to trip over absolutely nothing, twisting my ankle and bashing my knee, only to collapse to the ground and flail around on my back like an overset beetle:
My husband laughed at first, but then he realized I was swearing and saying, "Ankle ankle ankle," and he shifted to more-appropriate concern.  Which I appreciated, because I needed help getting up so I could hobble around in a circle to keep said ankle from swelling up too badly.  Isis, of course, wanted to play too, so rather than stay on the damn bench I'd crippled myself to arrange her on, she hopped down and helpfully interferred with my walking.

Ah, dogs.

But in the end I was fine, and we got our photo, so hey- no harm no foul.

Our next stop was to my grandparent's house, so that we could a) visit with them and b) introduce our pup.  I'd been putting it off until I felt she was well-behaved enough not to accidentally hurt either of them (they are somewhat fragile and there are blood-thinners involved; one tiny scratch can lead to way too much excitement).  Apparently I waited an appropriate length of time, because after her initial five minute "New people yay yay yay!" freakout (during which time I stood firmly on her leash), Isis calmed down and spent the next few hours behaving beautifully.  My grandparents were charmed, and all is right with the world.

Well, except for the fact that I straight up fell off the paleo wagon today.  It began with rice-crackers at my grandparents' house, and it ended with some fudge in  my dining room.  And I can't quite find the strength to feel particularly bad about it, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment