1.11.2012

That Doodle She Does Do

Ask any of my former bosses and they will tell you- I am a doodler.  I doodle during meetings.  Believe it or not, it helps me stay focused- some of my best notes from college are absolutely covered in relevant doodles (my art history notes were especially good for that).  Anyway, I had a business meeting today, and thus did some doodles... which I then cut out and taped into my sketch book:



As you can see, I was revisiting my character from yesterday, and also trying my hand at the male version of the garb.  I'm not particularly satisfied with it, so I'm sure there will be more iterations in the future.  What's nice is that the more I doodle of them, the more their culture (and eventually stories) take shape in my brain... (which is how I can be pretty sure that, among their people, the adult males shave their heads, which is part of what's so wrong with that doodle...)

This evening I started laying down colors on yesterday's picture, but it's going to take several more hours to get to a point even resembling "finished".  Still, it's exciting to see what's in my brain start to appear on the screen.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to show Lexi. And show her how you do just as my husband does, laying out doodles as you work out your piece. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my yes! All those pretty clean line-work drawings I've been posting? Started out messy as heck. I generally draw in my sketchbook with a pen (see: this entry), so I tend to place my lines very carefully (which comes with years of practice) but if I'm going to do a "piece" then I start in pencil to get it right before I lay down ink. I wish I could show her what I did this evening... I drew the skeleton first and worked up from there. Hmmm... sometime in the nearish future I'll scan something step by step so she can see how it evolves.

    ReplyDelete