1.05.2012

On Levels of Commitment

I was listening to an interview today, by Terry Gross of Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen (of Portlandia fame- amongst other projects), and the subject of tattoos came up, which in turn led to Terry asking whether or not they'd ever met anyone with a tattoo of, well them.  And Carrie had, and when Terry asked her what that was like, she said this:

"It's one of those things, because of course the reaction is to be flattered, do you know what I mean?  It's like you just think, 'That is a level of commitment that I've never made to anyone.  And you've made that to me, and we're strangers.'  So there's a real disconnect there.  And you are grateful, but also a little weirded out, I will say.  And you're thinking, "Wow, that picture of me.  That version of me.'  You want to just slowly update it.  You're like, 'Oh gosh, you got the hair wrong.'  Just go in there and take a little pen and change it."

Now, as a person with tattoos (no famous people, sorry), and as an artist, and as a highly self-involved individual who spends way too much time philosophizing to myself, this got me thinking about... me.  And my level of commitment to things- specifically myself- and the "version[s] of me".  Which led to an idea, which led to a sketch, which led to this...

Underneath My Skin


...which will, in turn, lead to a better version of that.  Eventually.

I mean, there's just so much to unpack here... I get excited just thinking about the symbolism of self and self-perception, of what we choose to permanently mark ourselves with- and what we don't.  The list goes on and on, and if I get into it right now I won't get to bed, and so I'm just going to have to cut it short and say: discuss amongst yourselves.  (even if, like me, that means amongst your Selves)

4 comments:

  1. I know at least one of those gals... Btw, I've really been enjoying your art. It's been a long time since I've seen your sketchbook on a regular basis ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good ol' 15-year-old me. Let's all just agree that 30-year-old me is FAR less crazy! (tho' perhaps no less charming?) As for the sketch book, this new incarnation of the blog ought to fix that... sooner or later, I WILL get lazy and just upload some sketches instead of an inked piece...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard this interview, too! Great interview, and I too have since had conversations discussing this very topic since then. Any new ink on the horizon...? We can discuss on Wed. :o)

    ReplyDelete