1.02.2012

F Bomb

There is a certain word that begins with an F that a lot of women (and men, for that matter) seem uncomfortable using, especially as it applies to them.  I  have a difficult time understanding this discomfort, and I can only attribute it to an imperfect understanding of the word's meaning.  In fact, it was my reading an interview of a young starlet that prompted me to write this.  Her grasp of the F word was... well, the nicest thing I can say about it was that at least it was benign.

That F word, by the way, is "Feminism".  And for the purpose of my blog entry today, that word is "Feminist".

I am a feminist.  And no, unlike so many celebrities who, when asked point blank whether or not they are, I have absolutely no qualifiers to that statement.  I am a feminist.

But what does that mean?  Well, here's the actual definition of the word:


...which is all well and good, as far as it goes, but as we all know, a word is more than its denotation.  There is also connotation to consider.  So when I say I'm a feminist, I'm saying the following:

I have the right to choose.

And no, I'm not talking about the abortion debate (in this entry).  I'm talking about the right to choose what I do with my life, with myself.  I'm talking about the right to work any job I'm physically and mentally qualified for, and get paid a fair wage for it, and not be harassed while I'm at it.  I'm talking about the right to leave my (theoretical) children with caregivers so I can do that job- and not be guilt-tripped for doing so.  But I'm also talking about the right to stay at home with those children and be a full-time parent, and not be told I'm "squandering opportunities".  And I'm talking about the right to choose not have any kids at all, and not be made to feel any less of a female.

I'm talking about the right to burn a bra- or to wear a push-up.  I'm talking about the right to dress in a mini-skirt or a hijab, as my own conscience dictates, and not be hassled for it either way.  I'm talking about the right to use all the tools in one's personal arsenal: intellect, humor, physical strength, and yeah- physical attractiveness.  I'm talking about the right to make my own decisions, and to have an equal say in the decisions that affect my family unit.

But do you know what else I'm talking about?  I'm talking about men being able to make those choices for themselves, too.  This isn't about "us vs. them", because when I say I'm a feminist, I'm saying that I believe in equal rights- be they civil, economic, social, or cultural- for all people, regardless of gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment