1.23.2012

Life Patterns

One of the things Nathan has been adamant about getting for the house is curtains.  He lacks my utter un-self-consciousness (some might say "exhibitionism") and desires a bit more privacy for the lower floor.  I have been stubbornly ignoring his requests because I like light, and as far as I was concerned curtains = death to light.  But finally this past weekend I gave in and got us some curtain rods, with the intention of sewing some curtains in the next few weeks.  I was feeling very petulant about it, too, informing him that the only sorts of curtains that don't make me utterly puke are sheers (because of the whole letting-light-in thing).  He was fine with that, so long as there was something.  So this morning I was looking up curtain-making tutorials and I saw... well, I saw some awfully cute curtains.  And I thought, "Hey, maybe curtains don't have to be ugly or blah.  Maybe I can use awesome fabric!" so I got on Etsy and started looking for awesome fabric.  And, do you know, I found some?  I found some I wanted so badly for curtains I could taste it- the only problem is that the particular fabric I had the poor taste to fall in love with is printed exclusively for a shop that uses it to make custom bags.  As in, I cannot get that fabric.  And so I sulked and said to myself, "Well how does one print fabric, anyway?"

And thus did I discover Spoonflower, where you can print your own textile designs.  And I nearly choked with excitement over the implications.  I could not just have cool curtains, I could have cool curtains featuring my own artwork!?  Yes freaking please.  And I immediately started designing patterns.

Here, have a taste:

Can you see this as a pattern against my bright orange wall?  Because I TOTALLY CAN.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Can't wait to see some finished product shots.

    ReplyDelete