9.11.2012

A Good Day for Rainbows


Start: Strandhill
End: Strandhill

We woke up early for no reason, so I bounced on Nathan until he agreed that yes, getting up to take some photos on the beach might not be entirely a bad idea (although he might have grumbled about wind and such).  It turned out to be a friggin’ awesome idea, because not only were the clouds being spectacular, but the rainbows came out to play!  In fact, a double rainbow made its appearance out over the ocean, and I almost choked on little-girl-excitement.  Somewhere beneath the pounding surf are two pots of gold just waiting for me!  Plus I got Nathan to admit that my instincts for when-and-where-to-go-for-photography are pretty dead on (this is not the first time Spectacular Things have happened after I’ve insisted on going to go do something that seems questionable) (basically what I’m saying is that I’m magic, you guys.  I’m a magical Weather Witch.  And awesome.)

I had two major To Do’s on today’s list: mail my postcards and get in some surfing.  The waves, however, were not cooperating (they were huge- way too huge for this little gimp), and so after Nathan assisted me with my first item, I instead joined him for his major To Do, which was to hike around the base of Benbulben in quest of some mighty fine photo ops.  Which were most certainly to be had.  Not one hundred yards into the hike I looked around and said to Nathan, “Growing up in a place like this, how could you not believe in fairies?”
Yeats Country
Speaking of which, after we finished up at Benbulben we backtracked to Drumcliffe so that we could stop in at Yeat’s grave and pay our respects (and have lunch).  And then we backtracked again to the turnoff that led us to one of the sights on my list, GlencarWaterfall.  I was absolutely delighted by that one, and so very glad we’d taken the time to pursue it.  There were more rainbows, oh yes there were.
I wish I could have spent longer on this, but I was chased off by a simply ENORMOUS group of adolescents on a field-trip.
When we got back to Strandhill the waves had gotten even bigger, and I grumblingly admitted to Nathan that he’d been right- the Universe was trying to tell me it wasn’t time for me to surf yet.  So I comforted myself by leading us back to Shells for dinner- which in my case was a chicken chowder that damn near put me into a Satisfaction Coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment