12.25.2010

More Merry Than Contrary

Christmas it not exactly my favorite holiday. It’s not that I’m anti-Christmas, mind you- no one could call me a Scrooge and have it stand up in court- it’s just that it I am not the person you will hear saying, “I love this time of year!” I’m not entirely certain why this is, although I have my theories. Part of it probably springs from the fact that Christmas was my dad’s favorite holiday, part of it is undoubtedly due to the long years spent working in retail, as well as my years spent as a rabid anti-Christian (I’m glad that’s no longer the case- it’s exhausting to be so anti-anything). Whatever collection of influences it is, Christmas simply does not whip me into the giddy frenzy it does many others.

That being said, this Christmas was pretty dang nice. For starters, I got to be with my family, which has not always been the case. More specifically my brother was around, which is extra-special now that he’s in the military. Secondly, my mom made us a traditional dinner- but not traditionally American. She made us schnitzel and a variety of German-style salads, and we ate until we all but rolled away from the table. What I’m trying to say here is that I got actual comfort-food instead of what the media tells us is comfort food (hey, I like ham and corn as much as the next red-blooded American- but not as much as I like my mother’s schnitzel): such food does a lot to put a person in an expansive mood. (aaand the two glasses of wine did not hurt)

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the presents- excellent presents were certainly had, very thoughtful and carefully selected presents, including a double sleeping bag that Nathan and I cannot wait to try out in the PNW. And, of course, there were the phone calls from old friends, warming my heart with the reminder that distance cannot diminish heart-closeness.

So even though Christmas isn’t really my “thing”, today it kind of was.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say your Christmas meal sounds delicious. I can't complain about our normal Ham and Rib Roast, but the schnitzel sounds wonderful. Hope you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete