10.28.2016

A New Sort of NaNo

Well.  NaNo starts on Tuesday, and I've figured out how I'm tweaking the challenge to suit my current lifestyle.

My goal will be to write for at least ten minutes of fiction per day, ie a minimum of 300 minutes by the end of the challenge.  That doesn't sound like a lot but trust me- in this season, it is.  I'm going to do a collection of short stories, specifically retelling fairy tales/myths,/fables/etc.  I reached out to social media for people's favorites, thinking to use it as a list of potential stories I could retell, and here's what they came back with:

Beauty and the Beast
Thumbelina
Donkeyskin
Last Unicorn
Alien ("I don't think that counts as a fairy tale," I told my friend, "But challenge accepted!")
Robin Hood
Bigfoot
Baal/Anat
Eden Narative
Gawain & the Green Knight
Mountain Storm King
Monkey Saga
Paul Bunyan
John Henry

I also happened to come across Neil Gaiman's version of Hansel and Gretel the other day, so I added that to the list, as well.

There were other suggestions, but they were tales I've already done, so I left them off for now.  But who knows what the future holds.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment