9.05.2010

Swimmin' Hole

It's early morning, and it's Sunday, which means we got the woods to ourselves 'cos most everybody's in church. We outta' be in church, ourselves, but there are days when you figure God prob'ly understands that you feel Him better under His sky than in some preacher's building. If you're me that day comes 'round pretty frequent-like.

Anyway me an' Bobby are makin' our way down to the river, intent on beatin' the heat before it even gets started- an' to tell the truth I'm also lookin' to work on my tan some. I've been workin' day shifts up at the D lately, which means the only sun my skin's been seein' is what's reflected off the moon. As such, I am a color more usually reserved for toad bellies, an' I'm not best pleased with it. Bobby is gentlemanly enough not to say nothin' about it as I peel off my shirt- although I catch his grin as he averts his eyes. He's got a bit of mischief in 'im, but I guess that just makes me love him more. Too sweet is sickly, you know? Least-wise that's the excuse I use for my attitude...

Our best swimmin' hole is about a mile up stream, way outta' sight from the main trail, and since we do have the privilege of solitude, I'm considerin' lettin' my bikini-top go the way of my shirt- but in the end I decide against it. Bobby and me have been gettin' naked together since we were young enough to think that mine "fell off", so it's not like I've got anything he ain't seen, but it is the Lord's Day. I do try to keep my more heathen impulses in check on the Sabbath, especially if I'm observin' it in the great outdoors. Instead I pull out a little raft we keep stowed down there and set myself adriftin'.

"Hey Amber!" Bobby is hollerin' at me from on top of the Big Rock. Ain't got no better name than that- just Big Rock, 'cos that's what it is. It hunkers at one edge of the swimmin' hole like a giant cat, makin' up a good part of the dam that makes the river so deep right here. I keep my eyes closed as I holler back at my oldest friend:

"Bobby Duluk, what on earth do you want?" But I have a sneakin' suspicion I know exactly what he is up do. Unfortunately I do not move out of the way fast enough, and sure enough- he plunges down into the water and I get the brunt of the ice-cold splash that results.

Maybe I don't love him so much, after all.


(Little River Canyon)

2 comments:

  1. Very good story to accompany the picture. I do like your "voice" in this one. I just finished reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" again, so I hear a little of that here. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know that I've never read that one? It's been on my list for years, tho'...

    ReplyDelete