9.07.2010

Hodge Podge

It strikes me that it's been a while since I've bitched about having to write every day. That's not to say it doesn't still occasionally chap my hide to have to sit down and pound out an entry when I'm not in the mood, but I think that, 8+ months in, it's pretty much become Ingrained in my Daily Habits. Like flossing. Only moreso, because I tend to be good about flossing for a few months, and then take a few months off, whereas this little project has continued, uninterrupted, for almost a year. For the curious, flossing springs to mind because I'm currently in the getting-back-into-it stage. And running, come to think of it. And drawing. Hot damn if this isn't a super-productive time for me! All this and the autumnal equinox on the horizon, to boot. Man I love it when the weather starts to turn.

I taught a class tonight- one I hadn't taught in a while. My calves were doing a bit of screaming at me due to the recent we-don't-believe-in-switchbacks hiking adventure/forays back into running, but it was a good sort of screaming. Melodious. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to get up extra early to go running again tomorrow morning. The only thing giving me pause is that I'm taking my sister-in-law to the doctor in the morning, and I don't think she deserves to have to sit in a waiting room with a sweaty, wheezing woman. I may just put off the run until eventide.

Finished up a good book today: Gwenhwyfar, by Mercedes Lackey. I was actually a little hesitant when I picked it up, for two reasons. The first is that although I have loved her work in the past, I haven't been very impressed with her more recent offerings. The second is that I'm awfully fond of Arthurian legend, which means I take butcherings of it more personally than most. But the novel was quite good, and I enjoyed it immensely. I think perhaps Ms. Lackey would do well to sticking to writing books she is excited to write, rather than churning out colorless additions to ongoing series just to placate the fans/pick up a little extra cash.

(Please don't strike me down, ye gods of fantasy fiction- I meant no disrespect...)

2 comments:

  1. Flossing is such a pain - quite literally in my case. I was good for a while, starting again of my own volition and not due to the violent ravings coming from my dental hygienist ("You see this sharp piece of metal that I pretend to know how to use? Well, I'm going to do unholy things to you with it if you don't start flossing!"). This is what always irritated me about not completing this dental task, you know? The uh, "righteousness", of the over-payed, pseudo dentist. Who are YOU to berate me for not flossing? I didn't pay you to come here and have you yell at me! How dare you! So when they ask me, "How often do you floss?" I wryly answer, "Any time my mother cooks corned beef."

    Sorry for the blog on your blog, but I was feeling rambunctious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog on my blog.

    You know what my main motivation for flossing is? It's not actually good dental hygiene (although that doesn't hurt). It's making my stupid dental exams go faster. If you've been flossing regularly, they don't have as much justification for torture. The one time that I was good about flossing for an entire YEAR I was in and out so fast it made my head spin. So now when I think I don't want to floss, I remember the benefits of a short appointment...

    ReplyDelete