9.16.2010

Grasshopper Richey

(A Bonus Entry With Little to No Interest for Most of You)

So my newest nephew went ahead and got himself born suuuuuper early this morning (thus rendering obsolete my title from Wednesday). We didn't get a chance to go over and see him until around five or six (Nathan had been out of town, and didn't get home until after four) and by the time we did the grandparents were taking off for the night. That was alright by us- fewer people to compete for tiny baby cuddles!

This is the first time I've ever been around a true newborn, and I will admit that I'd braced myself to tell some convincing lies regarding his cuteness. Not that I didn't trust my brother and sister-in-law to combine their genes to their best effect, but because I have no illusions about the general hideousness of babies before about two months. Add to that the fact that Grasshopper was induced early (pre-eclampsia, and all that) and I was prepared for some shrively, off-putting baby flesh. Teeth-grittingly prepared.

Fortunately for everyone, Grasshopper felt no need to follow typical baby protocol. As it turns out he is not at all scrawny, is in possession of a lovely round head capped with a thick golden fuzz, and looks rather less like Winston Churchill than most. Clear skin, good color, and didn't cry at all while I was holding him. Even half-opened one dark blue eye to check me out (they are liable to stay blue- both parents are recessive that way).

I was completely and utterly blown away by how friggin' perfect he is. Everything about him delighted me, especially his ridiculous lack of eyebrows, which he worked up and down to great effect. And yeah, I know- tiny infant perfection is not exactly news to most people, but you have to understand that I am not, in general, a fan of babies. And I did not expect to be particularly impressed by this one (I know, I know- worst sister-in-law ever). So the fact that I was absolutely captivated by him, that I found myself using that most horribly cliched of words, "precious" (I cringe to hear myself say it because other people have practically removed any and all meaning from it by applying it to the stupidest things)- well, I'm more than a little astounded.

The best part was being able to palm his little grapefruit-sized head. It just fit so snugly into my palm: I was utterly, utterly charmed.

Nathan got a lot of really nice portraits of him- maybe we've found him a new career path?

1 comment: