4.05.2012

Weather 'til Leather

Happy three year anniversary to me!

The Official Year Three portrait
We're celebrating by taking a trio-moon to Hood River (as opposed to the one-ymoon we took to North Carolina our first year), emphasis on the trio, since we brought Isis with us.  We're staying at the very swank (and dog-friendly) Columbia Gorge Hotel, in a room that is bigger than I'd feared it might be (you never can tell with this charming old historic places), and we have all sorts of adventures planned for the next two days.

But first, let me take a moment to be inordinately pleased with my anniversary gift, which was a pair of knee-high doc martens (because year three is leather, you see).  Oh so fabulous, I assure you, and they satisfy a literally decades-long (because fifteen years is more than one decade!) lusting.  And I must say, they are sexy as hell...  There was a long debate about whether to go with the oxblood or the black.  On the one hand, I felt like oxblood is kind of my signature- I own two pairs already.  On the other, as Nathan put it, I'm "kind of covered" on oxblood, because, um, I already own two pairs.  Also, the oxblood came only in smooth leather, which is beautiful and hard-core, but a bitch to break in (I speak from bloody experience) whereas the black came in buttero ("a full-grain, smooth leather, with a satin gloss and luxurious supple feel", according to their web site) which requires no breaking.  So basically it was Young and Hip Jenny O arguing against Old and Comfortable Jenny O ("But oxblood is awesome!" vs "But breaking in knee-high-boots will be the opposite of awesome for several very long months!") and in the end Nathan made the call (based on the aforementioned surplus of oxblood) which made sense since he was the one making the purchase, anyway (and is also the one who would have to listen to me whine about ripped open blisters).

I like my black boots.  They are super comfortable and also classic.  And as it turns out they are the perfect accent to an outfit that I'll be sharing with you sometime next weekend... in the meantime, have a sketch!
I need more practice doodling Isis, so that she looks less dooftarded when I do it...

And now it's time for some ruminations, I suppose.  About marriage, since it is my anniversary, which should be a time as much for reflection as for awesome gifts.  So what insights have I had after three years?  Well, I don't know about insights, per se, but I'd say that finally, finally the "newness" has worn off.  But not the vague sense of surprise that it worked out the way it did.  I no longer have to actively remember that I'm married, but I do still look at him and think sappy things like, "Is this happy life really mine?"  So I am used to being married by now*, but I do not yet take it for granted... and aim to keep it that way.






*(full disclosure- I did refer to myself as "your girlfriend" the other day, so maybe I'm not actually that used to being married?)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Happy Anniversary. I hope that it all gets even better. After nearly 6 years of marriage we have found that while the newness of being married is no longer there we have a lot of new things to discover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to operate on the assumption that every year will be our best year yet. ^_^

      Delete