4.28.2012

A Farmer Sort of Day

Today was an excellent day, and it started (as so many of my excellent Saturdays do) with Crossfit.

WOD (as done by me):

Team Relay

200m Farmer Carry (35lbs)
500m Row
20x Burpees
400m Run w/ medicine ball (14lbs) (I think)
30x Jumping Lunges
Move a stack of weights and a barbell 100m

So the way this one worked was that we had two teams of three, and at Go our first person started the farmer carry while the other two of us waiting.  Once he got back, the second person started the farmer carry while the first person went to row, and I continued to wait.  Once the second person got back, I did the farmer's carry while person two went to go wait until person one was done with rowing, at which point she took over rowing and person one went to burpees (except I think he did wall walks [this video calls them "wall climbs"], which I was not comfortable with, hence I did twice as many burpees) .  Get the idea?  I asked to be anchor because I knew my fitness level was the least advanced, and I didn't want to slow the whole team down.  The last part of the relay, the move-the-weights part, was the only part that multiple people were allowed to work on at the same time.

Anyway, when Jack got to the part of his explanation where he talked about the run, he said, "There is no non-awkward way to do this, so just carry it however you choose."

Readers, he was not kidding.  I tried at least eight different positions with that ball as I was "running", and do you know what I discovered?


True story.
Anyway my team did not come in last, which was awesome, and I did manage to help with the very last part of the "move the weights" leg, so I got to feel like I pulled my own weight (so to speak).

After that Nathan and I took Isis the the farmer's market (you're shocked, I know), and in the afternoon we met up with our friend Nick to watch Cabin in the Woods (a second time, in my case).  If you haven't seen that movie, you probably should.  It's awesome, and I can't tell you anything about it, but you should see it.  Unless you don't care anything at all about subverting genre, and then it may not be your thing... but chances are, if you get any sort of pleasure out of the voice that this blog comes to you in, you will derive some sort of joy from that movie.

5 comments:

  1. YES! Putting it behind my head was the easiest way for me too. The cars driving by must've thought I was crazy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do often wonder what they think of us as we run around doing "crazy" things... but usually I only wonder that on the first lap, because by the second lap I need all my focus for the task at hand!

      Delete
    2. I think the best was probably when we had to carry the keg above our heads. I got *strange* looks. :)

      Delete
  2. I've done the run with the 14 lb medicine ball...it is awkward no matter how you do it. I even tried on top of my head. Holding it on my tummy interfered with my breathing, I couldn't keep hold of it on my lower back. I ended up just putting it under one arm and leaning to the side...not so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem with the tummy-hold (also chest). Holding it on my hip screwed my gait up too much, tho', so I mostly sort of alternated between them all... I guess the solution is to build up enough arm strength that running with it held above our heads ain't no thang... ;)

      Delete