2.04.2012

Jenny O Returns to CrossFit

I got up (weekend)early this morning, and not just so I could let Isis out to potty (please imagine that word being said with ridiculous, high-pitched and encouraging excitement).  No, the main reason I got up at 0630 was because I'd decided to once again brave CrossFit, this time in the AM.  I was still sore from Wednesday, certainly, but recovered enough to do another round of modified pull-ups, push-ups, squats, and crunches.

Except that's not what John (the third trainer) had in store for me.  Oh no.  It was just me and one other guy for the 0800 session, and after setting up Other Guy for something that, frankly, looked like he was plowing the parking-lot (amongst other tortures) John approached me with my very own modified routine for the day.

Gentle Readers, you know you are in for it when you find yourself thinking, during the warmup, "I am pretty sure this 'warmup' is what I would classify as a workout..."

Here it is broken down:

Warmup:
                20 back extensions
                20 lunges
                20 squats
                20 situps
                20 jump rope (that was fun and honestly I could have done it all day)

My Newbie-Personalizeed WOD:

               400 meters on my old friend the erg
               15 kettlebell swings (with "the lightest one we have", which was 20lbs and felt plenty heavy to me)
                10 burpees (a term I had heard before, but didn't fully understand until today) (also this guy isn't clapping, but I was supposed to)

                (x3)

True Story.
John introduced me to the erg and asked if I'd ever seen one.  I politely explained that I did crew in college (JV only, but still) and it took all of two pulls for the proper form to come rushing back to me.  So I was sitting pretty (literally) at the start of my workout.

By the time I finished round one and had begun round two I was questioning my own sanity.  It sucked.  I was not at all a fan of the way I was feeling.  But I persevered, because I am not a quitter, damn it.  But by the time the third round began, and I was starting to think that hey, maybe quitters aren't so bad, after all.  And when I dragged myself through that final, horrific burpee, I realized that I hated CrossFit and everyone involved with it, because they are all sadomasochistic demons.

As I was hobbling around in agony afterwards John and Other Guy made it difficult for me to hang onto this new knowledge, because they were being so kind and supportive and generally awesome.  By the time I'd recovered to feel like a normal human being again (about half an hour after finishing) the 0900 class was starting to trickle in, and they were all super nice and welcoming, too.  Damn tricksie demons with their smiling and encouragement.

And then, once I'd gotten back home to Nathan and the animals, I realized that I felt awesome, and that I want to go back again.

(Possibly I was right to question my sanity.)

No comments:

Post a Comment