12.01.2010

Defiantly December

Whenever I say the word "definitely", I always have this urge to pronounce it "defia-natly". So as I was bustling from the apartment to my car this morning through the suddenly-cold air (it's been quite warm the past week or so), I said to myself, "Yup, defia-natly December..." which leads us to- you guessed it- "Defiantly December".

***

Yesterday I said to Nathan, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" to which he replied,

"No."

"It's the first day of December!"

"Yeah?" Pause. "I invented December."

"Good job, {embarrassing nickname here}!"

"Why good job?"

"Because before you cleverly invented December, there was nowhere to put Christmas, and people were very sad."

"That's true."

These are the random-ass conversations that go down in this household.

***

Other things that go down in this household? Delicious roasted vegetables, my friend. Check it out: (Jenny Made) And do you know what else I made this evening? Our New Year's card/letter/thingy. Now I just have to get it printed...

***

I am getting more and more excited about next year's 365 project- so much so that I just want to be done with this one so that I can move on to the next one (it has been eleven months of daily writing, after all... the thrill of the challenge has begun to wear off and now it's just sort of "my lifestyle".) And since I had a minor altercation with my mother just this afternoon about whether or not I'd announced that I know what my next project is, I figured now is the time to make a post about it.

This year I committed to writing something every day, whether I felt like it or not. The point was (as I've said a billion times) to instill a bit of discipline in myself. Well, discipline achieved (I'm even flossing regularly). And a not-unwelcome side-effect has been (to my mind, at least) a sharpening of my writing skills. All in all, a very Good Thing. So next year's goal is to learn to be a bad-ass with our new Cintiq, which means I am committing to work on art every day. It may be a full-blown piece, or it may be linework, or it may be as simple as a sketch. It may be that I simply work on an ongoing project. But every day- something. And every day, it will get posted so you can see my process.

Gee, that doesn't have the potential for extreme humiliation, or anything... but whatever. If I can deal with you guys reading my unedited word-vomits, I can deal with you watching me have bad days with my drawings (and hell- maybe I'll finally finish this thing).

So there you have it- if you choose to keep following this blog into the new year, you'll get to see more and more of my artwork.

(I've been told my drawings don't suck, if that's any sort of incentive...)

No comments:

Post a Comment