12.27.2010

World-Building Via Trinity

So today I thought I'd share some more of the world-building that's going into my blood-slaves concept (yeah I know, I know- I need to spend some time developing a new word for that...). I was addressing a few things that have come up with my people-with-whom-I-discuss-story-ideas, and one of those things was what sort of religion they have going. What follows doesn't really address the religion, per se, but it does answer the question of who/what they worship... this is rough stuff, and quite liable to change, but at least you can get an idea of my process...

***

Three is a sacred number to the Empire, and things are done in multiples/powers of three whenever possible. The pantheon is, at its core, a Trinity with the following Aspects: God/Goddess/Balance (who is both and neither). Each Aspect has three Roles: Creator/Sustainer/Destroyer. Each Role has three Faces: Youth/Prime/Ancient. Each Face has three Alignments: Order/Chaos/Neutral (have you done the math? That’s about 81 deities to choose from for any given situation). The Universe is comprised of three States of Being, Liquid/Solid/Gas, and within each State there are three Elements, from which everything is built: (that’s nine Elements: water/aether/fire; stone/metal/wood; air/light/cloud). There are three planes of existence, Heaven/Earth/Hell, inhabited by gods/mortals/demons.

***

Also I thought I would share with you the ridiculous, Formal Names I came up with for the six Noble Houses (as opposed to Base Houses, those with no mage blood). They're fabulous, I think you will agree- and only used on the most formal of occasions:

House Opalescent Glory (the Imperial House, from which the Emperor springs)
House Burgundy Crescent (contains the most powerful of the mage bloodlines)
House Saffron Dawning
House Viridian Wellspring
House Cerulean Zephyr
House Indigo Starlight

1 comment:

  1. This is sounding pretty interesting so far. Hope to read more in the future.

    ReplyDelete