12.11.2010

Spinning Out Some Magic

One of the things I like best about hoop dancing is that it's basically magic. Oh sure, some might call it physics- but I've always felt physics was just another word for magic-we've figured-out, anyway...

My favorite example (that I'm actually able to do) (sometimes) is moving the hoop on and off my waist by using my hand to bring it up to (or down from) above my head. Really you hardly do anything to accomplish this feat- you just sort of gently move your hand along with the rotation of the hoop and guide it up (or down) to where you want it to go. To me it always feels like the hoop is supporting itself- I'm just along for the ride. Add in a spin while you do it, and it really looks like the hoop is floating. Crazy and awesome and good.

Anyway, today I was showing Nathan some of the exciting new things I can do with my new, lighter hoop (or, to be more accurate, the things I am learning to do, but still kind of smacking myself in the head while attempting), and I even got him to take some photos (since it is action Saturday) of the more successful demonstrations.

And now Behold! Jenny O floats in mid-air, all thanks to the magic of the hoop!

(New Maneuvers)

No comments:

Post a Comment