11.10.2010

NaNoWriMo and the Quest for the Goblet of Doom

I have been queasy off and on all day. Bleh. On the upside, I dyed my hair this evening, so that should be a pleasant surprise for Nathan when he gets home tomorrow morning. Speaking of my handsome husband, check out his picture for today: Middle America. I like it!

I'm about a hair's breadth over 28,000 words now, and I have to say- I have no idea where on earth I'm going to get enough words to get me to 50,000. I think I am going to have to go back and bulk up scenes I've already written.

Wait, have I already talked about that on here? Ugh, I don't know. All this writing is starting to blend together in my brain...

(this excerpt takes place years after the last one, so don't imagine it's like the next morning or something...)

***

A few days later, when Sera left the temple to greet the rising sun, she found Dramen standing next to a pile of sticks.

“What is that?” she asked.

“Firewood. I noticed you were running low.”

“Well… thank you, Dramen. That’s actually very thoughtful of you.”

“Don’t sound so surprised,” he said dryly.

“Sorry. I guess it’s not fair of me to expect that I’m the only one who’s changed.”

“What do you mean by that?” He followed her as she grabbed an armful of the sticks and began to climb the spiraling steps up the side of her little light tower. “I brought you gifts when we were together!”

“Well yes, you did,” she said slowly, “but they tended to be more the sort of gifts that made you look like a generous giver. You never, ever would have brought me something so unglamorous as sticks.”

“You don’t like them?” he sounded wounded. She shook her head as they reached the top platform, where she threw the sticks down next to the fire pit.

“It’s not about whether or not I like them, Dramen- I needed them. And you saw that, and you brought them to me. Which is what makes them a much nicer gift than, say, a gold bracelet.”

“Oh.”

“It’s a change for the better, Dramen,” she smiled at him before turning to face the east. “Be glad."

No comments:

Post a Comment