3.04.2016

The Draft Behind the Curtain


I've always been up-front about the fact that this blog is a mix of Real Life and Fiction. Usually it's pretty easy to spot the difference between the two (dragons and unicorns are generally a good tell).  Sure, there's often some Real Life in my Fiction (ex-lovers beware), but sometimes a bit of Fiction creeps into the Real Life, as well, because Real Life is almost never as polished a narrative as we'd like it to be.  Or, as my grandmother used to say, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

Yesterday was an example of that.

What follows is the actual interaction that inspired yesterday's blog, very lightly edited for clarity and the protection of innocents.  I hope you enjoy seeing how I try to keep the truth of something intact, even while altering the hell out of it.

(and for the record, I didn't hesitate at all before I answered his initial question.)

***

Him: has it been a hard transition?

Me: honestly?  not really.  I think managing my expectations has been key 

Me: and frankly being a lucky son-of-a-bitch is coming in SUPER handy for me at the moment (and always, really) 

Me: Neeps is such a happy, easy-temperament baby that it makes life a shit-ton easier than it might be 

Him: that's perfect 

Me: It's like... yes, it's hard, but hard in the way that anything awesome can be hard.  Climbing a new route or hiking up a steep incline or coming up with the perfect backstory for a character- all of these things have a difficulty that varies from day to day as our bodies and minds go through the shit they go through, but all of them are also really rewarding and you feel fiercely proud and happy when you get through to the other side 

Me: If anything I've been a little surprised that I've taken to it as easily and naturally as I have- it hasn't been as hard as I was braced for.  And I think a lot of that is, as already mentioned, pure dumb luck.  BUT I WILL TAKE IT AND BE GRATEFUL. 

Me: it also helps to have a good partner, for reals 

Me: like last night when i went to shake salt on the green beans and instead dumped out about half the container, and yelled "Son of a BITCH" and Nathan came in and saw what I'd done, he said, "I'll take care of it.  You go sit." which is a GREAT way to not get overwhelmed by shit.  Just having someone come in and say, "I'll take care of it," when you're nearing a breaking point

No comments:

Post a Comment