5.05.2012

Using Crossfit as a Warmup?!

We had an option for our WOD today- we could choose to do yesterday's WOD:

400 m walking lunges

or we could do today's "official" WOD:

12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Hang Cleans
Burpees
Hollow Rocks

For me the choice was pretty easy, for several reasons.  First, when I'd seen yesterday's WOD posted (yesterday evening) I was kind of bummed that I'd missed it.  Second, why do burpees if you dont have to? And finally (and most importantly) I had a 5k Walk/Run for the Animals that started at 0900 that I was supposed to meet for at 0830 (I do the 0800 session of Crossfit), and I knew I could finish the 400m faster.

It was just me and one other guy who opted for walking lunges, so of course I launched into my typical early-in-the-WOD-banter, because I believe in evening out the odds by stealing the other guys' breath with laughter.  He especially seemed amused by my expletives:


Real and true things that I say when under duress.
By the time I finished my cool down ("When you finish, your legs will think it's a great idea to lie down," warned Jack.  "Do not listen to them- go get on the airdyne and work them out.") it was a smidge after 0830, so even tho I wanted to stay and jabber, I had to get a move on.

I managed to make it to the starting line just as things were, well, starting, so my team knew I was there even if I spent the rest of the walk nowhere near them.  Taking a 5.5 month old puppy on a 5k is a great deal like taking a little kid on a 5k: there was a lot of stopping to investigate stuff, then running to catch up/just because she could (less whining, tho').  After the midway point she seemed to flag a bit, so I jogged while she trotted gamely next to me, but then she got her second wind and... well, my quads had Opinions about that, especially in light of their earlier abuse.
My dog runs way faster than I do.

The truth is I think that doing that 5k was maybe one of the better things I could have done after today's WOD, in terms of making sure my muscles didn't seize up.  Of course, now I'm faced with the fact that I cannot go down stairs (except by scooting on my butt, which Nathan finds hilarious), and the dread of what second-day-after-soreness will bring... but I'll think about that the day-after-tomorrow.  In the meantime, I have a bunch of free comic books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment