5.04.2012

Meet Me Halfway

When I set physical goals, I tend to do them in sets of three.  I set an "initial goal", something that I feel pretty confident about being able to hit, with some effort.  I tend to think of that one as a "morale booster goal".  I also set a "middle goal", which tends to be more like the "real goal"- something that could be bragged on without any sort of equivocating.  And then there is a "high goal", something that I don't think is impossible, per se, but that I do think is going to be pretty damn difficult, and something that I'll be okay with if I don't hit.

I set myself some goals back in February, right after starting Crossfit, and a month after I'd started climbing regularly.  My initial goal was to be able to do one pull-up: just one.  That's plenty impressive for a female, right?  Sure it is.  (Plus it's the USAFA requirement- or at least it was back in the day)  I hit that goal at the beginning of April, and I was pretty damn thrilled.  My second goal was to be able to do three consecutive pull-ups, like I was able to do back in college when I rowed crew.  Being able to do three consecutive pull-ups is definitely something you can brag about, especially as a female.

I hit that goal last night, and I'm feeling incredibly good about it- especially because, when Nathan took a video of me demonstrating it this afternoon, I saw how much smoother and quicker my pull-ups are getting (the first two in the set, anyway).

My "high goal" is to be able to do five- I've never in my life been able to do so many, and when I set that goal it didn't seem like something that would come quickly or easily.  But after today I'm realizing that maybe it's not so "out there" a goal, after all, and that in all likelihood I'll have hit it by mid-June.

Oh perspective, you tricky so-and-so.

The thing is, I'm not really sure what my next physical goal should be- I think it's silly to keep making pull-up goals when obviously those will just keep coming, as long as I keep practicing.  The obvious thing would be something like running a 5k with a better time than my last one (not hard to do) but honestly, that goal just doesn't appeal to me, and if a goal doesn't appeal then where's the motivation?

I have "things on my to-do list", including learning how to lead-climb in July (and also running the Portland 5k Foam Fest), riding my bike across the river at some point, and climbing outdoors- but none of those are really "goal" things that I can work towards: they're just things that I will or will not do.  So I'm not sure... any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment