5.01.2012

Commuter Adventures

I have quite a few of them- adventures on my bike, I mean.  Many of which involve me channeling Daryl.  But today's adventure was not one of rage so much as amusement and vague disquiet:

(And just so you know, I was wearing regular black work slacks, nothing spandex-y.)
In case you cannot read my chicken-scratch of a thumbnail, what happened was this:

I was grinding my way up the Big Hill near the beginning of my route, and I was putting a lot of effort into it because I had my gear set at 6 (out of 8).  It's not very dignified-looking, but I keep it that tough because I use it as a chance to give my quad a good workout.  Anyway, a middle-aged dude was walking down the hill and he said to me, "Wow, that'll give you buns of steel!" (that phrase alone would have dated him even if I couldn't have guessed his age from his face).

"I know, right?" I said with my best dashing grin.  Then I was past him and moving along, and he yelled out,

"It's working, I can see!"

"...uhhh... thanks..." I said, and tried to be more flattered than weirded out.  But c'mon, guy- you just went from awesome-commiseration-dude to vaguely-creepy-lech in thirty seconds flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment