3.24.2012

Saturday Adventures

I have had way too much sugar over the past two weeks (curse you, birthdays/low willpower), and I am seriously paying the price today.  When I woke up this morning (after less than seven hours of sleep- bad O!) the idea of going to Crossfit was a little bit excruciating... but I went anyway.

WOD

Two minutes each station:

Single Arm Whips
Row Cal (basically using the ERG but counting how many calories we burned rather than distance)
Bench Press
Squats
Rope Climb (my goal was about 10 feet up)
Double Unders (no single option- Aubrey was determined that today was the day we learned to do doubles)

Score = Total Reps

Apparently physics played a vital role in today's WOD...
My personal triumphs of the day included getting up the rope a grand total of three times (last time I attempted it was only one) and getting four consecutive double-unders. Yay me!  Also, my score was 317, which is annoying because I honestly feel I have the strength to climb the rope more times than I did, if only I could just get my foot technique right.

This afternoon Nathan and I took Isis on her first Portland Field Trip.  Our first stop was our beloved Seven Corners Cycles, because both of our bikes need some tweaking (and- snow days notwithstanding- it's well past time for me to start commuting again).  Nathan took the pup for a walk around the neighborhood while I proved how much strength I've gained since last June by casually taking both bikes down from the car rack like it ain't no thang.  Seriously you guys- I was so stoked that I was able to do that so easily, because when we first bought those bikes I had to have help getting them on the car, and getting them off the car was a seriously iffy proposition that pretty much only happened if I had a curb to stand on.  So.  There's your real-world fitness application for rock-climbing and Crossfit...

As I was finishing up in the shop, I asked one of the guys if they had any recommendations for a good restaurant with gluten-free options within walking distance.  He rattled off a few grocery stores near by, and then someone else yelled, "Oh!  Papa G's!"...

Why yes, my shirt DOES say, "Bacon is Rad, Gluten is Bad"

Needless to say, we did not eat there.  Instead we went to the further away (but highly-recommended) Edelweiss to get our Nom on.  And let me tell you, I am a bit snobby about Bavarian food (I come by it honestly), but the bratwurst I had there almost brought me to tears.  (Or maybe it was the fact that I really really wanted rye bread and couldn't have it...)

We walked Isis around that neighborhood, too, and then headed over to REI, so a) I could exchange a shirt and b) we could get Nathan his very own harness and climbing shoes.  (Possibly I was even more excited about that than he was)  Once we finished up there we took Isis for yet another walk, this time a very very urban walk, with way more distractions than she's ever had to deal with (traffic, pedestrians, other dogs, etc).  She did pretty dang well, too, and passed the heck out on the drive back.

She perked up little once we got home, however, and played out in the yard while Nathan and I laid on the bench together to watch the clouds scuttle by...

And now Nathan is calling me to come eat the tandoori-spiced pork kabobs he just grilled for me.  Yay life!

2 comments:

  1. Bwa, ha, ha! What's a matta? Chicken???? I think it would have been hi-larious! But, of course, I am living well outside of the frag envelope .....
    Anonymous Mom

    ReplyDelete