3.03.2012

A Gimpy-Knee Safe Workout

My knee has been extremely painful for the past few days (for the first time since changing my diet) and I wasn't totally sure I'd be up for Crossfit this morning.  But then I decided that the whole point of having a personal trainer for every session is so that they can tailor it to your abilities and needs, and that includes the much-reduced abilities of my right knee.

I got to the box and explained to Aubrey what the situation was, and sure enough- she modified the WOD to take out everything that involved a bended knee.  As such, my personalized WOD looked like this:

2 min @each station

Back Extensions (although after watching that video I now realize I've been doing Hip Extensions)
Monkey Bars (40 sec mark)
Good Mornings
Sit-Ups
One-Legged Jump Rope (only I did it left-legged the whole time)

("Basically," said Aubrey, "Your back column is going to be thrashed.")

(You can go to Crossfit Epiphany's website to see the unmodified WOD)

I will admit- I was a wee bit afraid of the monkey bars.  The last time I tried them it did not end well, which I chalked up to having a greater mass than an eight-year-old.

Imagine my delighted shock when I was not only able to "do" the monkey bars, but actually managed to traverse the entire thing three whole times in my two minute window.  I chalk that up to the past two months of rock-climbing (yay grip getting stronger!).
All this, and MORE!


We had about a minute left on our last stations when Aubrey announced (in an entirely too-cheerful voice) "Okay guys- I want you to go back to your first station!"  And so we went through the entire thing twice.  I was pleased that my numbers didn't fall too substantially (except on that damn jump rope), and after I spent half an hour recovering (sometimes cardio just jacks me up, it really does) I felt pretty good.

Now, however, I have started to feel the "thrashed" that Aubrey promised me.  My hamstrings and back are like, "Why?  Why?!"  I'm trying not to think about what that's going to translate to over the next two days.

Anyway, today was the last day of my free month (thanks again, baby bro!) so now I have to start paying for my pain.  And I'll do so, gladly.  Can't afford a true monthly membership at this point, but fortunately my box offers a punch-card, which I can certainly work into my budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment