8.14.2010

Bob Hobart

I have a baby shower to attend next weekend, and as part of the offerings I'm bringing to lay on the altar of JRJR (my affectionate nickname for "Jeff Richey JR" even tho' I know that's not going to be his name) I started embroidering a bib today. Specifically I started embroidering it with a little hedgehog (or hedge-pig, if you're British). I must say, it's turning out to be quite adorable.

Wherefore the hedge-pig? (I'm not British, but it's more fun to say that way, isn't it?) Well, according to Nathan, his brother (that being JRSR) had a pet hedge-pig when he was younger, that went by the name of Hobart. Apparently Hobart was pretty much the worst pet ever- he didn't like to be touched, and he had the means to ensure that his preferences were respected. Furthermore, he ran all night long, which rarely does much to endear one to one's diurnal college student owner. Hobart was either given away or returned to the pet shop, but my brother-in-law retains a fondness for his species: hence the bib.

I, too, am rather fond of them. In fact, I've a track record with spiny creatures, myself. When I was in about the fifth grade my school had something called Writer's Workshop, a wonderful program which taught kids about the writing process (complete with brainstorming, first, second, and final drafts, as well as critiques of each). One of the stories my time in WW turned out was the story of Bob the Bashful Porcupine. Bob had the unfortunate habit of blushing bright red with the slightest provocation. I can't remember exactly what the plot was... although I know it ended happily: I believe with his marriage to Patricia the Porcupine, who thought his blushes to be exceptionally cute (there was even an ill-advised attempt at a sequel concerning their rainbow-hued offspring). In restrospect a blushing hedge-pig would probably be much more adorable than a porcupine, so maybe I ought to revisit the theme one of these days...

Oh, in case you're curious, here's my progress so far*:


(Quills to follow, naturally.)

*(and by so far I mean by 08/15, because that's when I had Nathan take this picture)

1 comment: