8.19.2010

Apocalypse How?

The angel was doing its best not to look too nervous. It wasn't certain why it was trying, since He was omniscient, and all, but still... it had some pride.

"I'm sorry but... I don't understand, Excelsis One. The flood worked so well the last time- why not go that route again?"

"Because, Raguel," the Creator sighed, obviously feeling burdened. "Because of the damn dirty atheists."

Raguel flinched. When He called someone "damned", He meant it. "I- the atheists, Glorious One? Will they not be wiped out just as easily by flood as any other mortal?"

"Yes, well, that's rather the problem, isn't it? Back in the good old days, I could send down a flood, or a meteor, and by Me people knew that I was pissed. These days they start talking sun flares and weather patterns and el neen-whatever, and go about their sordid business, with nary a sacrifice in sight. It's depressing. I mean, is it too much to ask for a little bit of credit for One's work?"

"Of course not, Your Most Auspiciously Self-y One."

" 'Self-y One'. Hmph. That's new."

"Well yes, I just now thought of it, Lord."

"Hmph. I think I like it. Anyway the point is that if I send down legions of sleep-deprived angels with flaming swords it may not be as efficient as flooding the earth- the slaughter might not be quite as wholesale- but at least people will know it's Me sending the message, and not some made-up Mexican."

2 comments: