3.31.2010

The Various Pleasures of Books

There's an article over on NPR, discussing the smell of old books and whether or not it's important to have a collection of physical books. I made a contribution to the comments, which I will cut and paste (and then expand upon it, apparently) to here because it totally counts as having done writing today, and I kind of need to get my Packing for NC on...

I am One Who Smells Books.

This may have something to do with the fact that I am more sensitive to scents than most people I know (my husband affectionately refers to me as his little bloodhound), but I think it also has to do with the scent-memories imprinted on me from a young age of wandering through used bookstores with my father, looking to round out his collection of Heinlein. So for me there is a visceral pleasure in smelling books (yes, I include new ones in that statement, a result of former book seller nostalgia) that e-books will never, ever match. Does this mean I wouldn't get a reader ? Oh heck no- I seriously covet such excellent technology (the ability to carry fifteen books on vacation without going over weight restrictions? Um, yesplease). But I will also keep my ever-fluxuating library of tangible books, even as I continue to frequent (and I do mean frequently) the public library. I love reading, and I don't care what form it takes (I have been known to read shampoo bottles, for the love of Pete )- but I also love books, and it is important to me that I have some of my very own. They're like friends I can revisit when I'm feeling in need of comfort, and I would be lying if I said I didn't dream of eventually passing on my favorites to my (still hypothetical) children, just as my parents did to me. I remember the thrill of reading the same physical book my mother read at my age, running my fingers over her handwriting in the front end-paper, being blown away by the fact that she had dared to color in Nancy Drew's dress. It was a wonderful connection to the child she once was, and it made me feel closer to the adult she'd become.

Furthermore, having a library speaks to me of luxury and wealth (both monetary and intellectual). It's a comfort to be surrounded by books, because it means that you could afford them. And no matter how poor you might get, you still have those books- even if you have to sell them, you still have the knowledge that they contained. So yeah- I like having physical books because I find them comforting on so many levels- emotional, mental, fiscal... I don't think a reader will be able to replace any of that- nor do I think it should- but I do believe it will make an excellent solution to my "how did I end up with so many paperbacks that I need to donate??" wailing that occurs about once every three months or so...

(And now I really, truly need to get to effin' packing.)

1 comment:

  1. Cool article. I feel the same way, there's just something about a physical book that a reader just can't give me. Keep up the fight for books. :-)

    ReplyDelete