3.29.2010

Don't Believe Everything Kate Beckinsale Tells You

"But, but- you're a werewolf!"

"Yeees..."

"And he's a vampire!"

"Also true," the silver-haired girl lifted one heavy brow. "Your point?"

"So then- how can you- aren't you guys, like, mortal enemies?" This was met with smokey laughter and a decisive shake of the head.

"Oh good gods no! I swear, you've been watching too many movies with pleather-clad starlets! My people and his have never been at odds the way your stories would have us. Why should we be? We don't exactly compete for natural resources."

"But, but- the legends..."

"Pfft, legends. Stories made up to comfort weak humans cowering in fragile huts. Far better to believe that vampires and werewolves fight amongst ourselves than to face the fact that such monsters might work together. It's the same thing with all your stories about his people needing invitations to enter- wishful thinking, nothing more."

"That's... not true either?"

"Hardly. Neither is the thing about garlic, if you're taking notes. Honestly it's more likely to keep me away than him- my nose is much more sensitive." She looked vaguely satisfied with this statement.

"But... You know, you're not making me feel better about any of this."

"I'm not trying to."



(Author's note- we watched Rise of the Lycans tonight, which put me in a vampire/werewolf mood, wondering why people had latched on to the whole "mortal enemies" thing. I have several stories featuring the two races- amongst others- set in the same general universe, and I enjoy tweaking the mythos to suit my own ends.)

No comments:

Post a Comment