3.19.2010

My Final 24 Hours as a 28-Year-Old

Oh, and we're well into them. As of this moment (apx 2043 here in Birmingham, Alabama, but already 0243 in the place of my birth, the now-defunct Hahn Air Base in what-was-then West Germany) there are only about eighteen hours left.

Yes, yes, I know- 28 to 29 is not exactly a "milestone" birthday by any stretch of the imagination. So why devote an entry to it? Well, several reasons- the first of which is that it's about to be my birthday and I'll do what I want. The second of which is that although I am only turning 29, three of my best friends are all hitting the big 3-0 within the next two months, which is generally considered a milestone. Writing their birthdays on my calendar at the beginning of this year was a bid of an ice-cube-down-the-back moment for me. The third reason is that we are in the middle of watching Julie & Julia, which is (as you mostly likely know) about a woman who starts a 365 project (not that she calls it that) on the eve of her 30th birthday and thus my brain is firmly stuck in turning-30 mode rather than turning-29 mode, which- come to think of it- there probably isn't a mode for, anyway.

Anyway my point is that I've got Significant Birthdays on the brain, regardless of whether or not this is one. Although I don't see why it shouldn't be.

Tomorrow also just so happens to mark the one-year-anniversary of Nathan and I being married in the eyes of the US Government. Yep, that's right- one year ago, tomorrow, we waltzed on down to the courthouse and signed some documents, and made it all legal. Of course, we count April 5th as our actual wedding anniversary (that being the day we actually had a wedding), but I cannot help but hold a special place in my heart for March 20th, entirely aside from my own natal-related self-interest. I told Nathan it was the best birthday present I'd ever gotten- and it's pretty likely to remain that way. I mean, how do you top that? I don' t think you do. Not that I'm not game to try. I am, in general, a pretty big fan of things getting even better than I'd have thought they could.

I had an interesting little brain-storm for a story today, about Queen Louise of Prussia, but I think it needs a little more percolating before it makes an appearance on here. Right now it's barely even the whisper of a story-seed. But it's there. I shall have to nourish it with birthday cake, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment