3.25.2010

Facing Dawn

Dawn crept up over the horizon like a guilty thief, dragging its ill-gotten bundle of daylight behind it. Graham and I watched it from our place in the haystack; we had too much guilt of our own to pass judgment on the dawn, and so let it slip by without comment.

The only other witness to our shame was a lone tree in the middle of the field; and since its limbs were as bare as our own, we figured it wouldn't be telling any tales, either. I considered it's elongated shadow as Graham ran his fingers lightly down my arm.

"Your muscles are so lovely in this light," he whispered, and kissed my shoulder.

"They're lovely in every light," I teased. "Just like you." His kisses moved up toward my mouth, and for a moment I again forgot who we were and why this wasn't allowed.

"We can't stay here," I said after long moments had passed. "We'll both be missed sooner or later. And we can't give them any reason to suspect we're... together."

"I know," he sighed, and let his head fall back against the dry, fragrant grass. "I hate this."

"Not all of it, I hope." I curled against his side, toying with his chest hair.

"No, of course not all of it. Just the part where we have to hide. Just the part where I can't be with you like this, always."

"Stop," I said. "Anyone would think I've turned you into a pansy."

"I would let them call me pansy, if it meant I could be with you in daylight."

"It's daylight now."

"Barely."



(The Other Witness)

No comments:

Post a Comment