3.20.2010

Portrait of a 29-Year-Old

Well I must say, it's been a damn good day.

Several very nice things happened today (including a lot of very good food) but by far the very best part of the day occurred while Nate and I were out with our friends Tim and Meredith (and their daughter) to do a photo-shoot involving me on my longboard (skate not surf, in this instance). Skating is always fun and good (despite my so-low-as-to-be-non-existant level of skill), especially with friends in lovely weather. Anyway, long story short, I basically ended up wiping out, which is a great deal more painful on asphalt than in the ocean, in spite of the fact that I was wearing jeans (and thank goodness for that, although I'm mildly put out that they now need some repair).

I know, I know- you're looking back at that first sentence and wondering if you need to re-read it with your sarcastic mental voice- but you really don't. As horrified as Nathan was by the whole incident (fortunately he didn't witness it- just the aftermath), I'm actually really glad it happened. I'm glad I ate shit because it means that I'm still doing things that come with a risk of eating shit. I'm glad I wiped out because it's the first time I've done so on this board (that I've been skating on for over two years), and I no longer have to wonder/dread what it will feel like. I'm glad I got hurt because it gave me a chance to jump back up and get back on the board, proving that I am not, in fact, a whiny little bitch. I'm glad because it means that getting older has not made me go soft- it may take me longer to recover from the shit I do to myself, but at least I'm not afraid to do it. Although I will admit that the (mass)x(acceleration) involved in someone my size hurling into the pavement probably does a wee bit more damage in terms of contusion than that of an eight-year-old...

So yeah- I'm pretty pleased with myself as I sit here with my knees bandaged, elevated, and on ice. I shall wear my scabs and bruises like the badges of honor they are, and see what I can do in the coming year to earn more.

(Portrait of a 29-Year-Old)

No comments:

Post a Comment