3.08.2010

This is What Happens When You Eat Caterpillars

So today was Record a Video day for my long road towards becoming a certified Body Flow instructor (yes, still working towards that). The idea being that I tape myself teaching a class, send it in, and it gets Assessed (yes, the capital is necessary). So all day long I had butterflies ricocheting about my tummy. Fortunately butterflies are pretty negligible, mass-wise, so it's not like they were throwing off my equilibrium or anything, but they were making me feel a smidge woozy.

In preparation for this Event, I wore my very best ninja outfit (all my workout gear these days is black- very slimming for the camera, but also a little tiresome after months on end), pulled my hair up into it's most flattering athletic 'do (ponytail, according to Outside Sources), and even put on makeup. That is right, I did what I only sometimes do for my Real Job: applied concealer, eyeshadow, and mascara. I was ready for that camera!

Well, minus the part that I had not yet actually taught an entire class by myself (team-teaching has been the name of the game). You know. But whatever. I was going to be fine and anyway it's not like this was my one and only shot at making a video. I could re-do it as often as necessary! No need for butterflies, damn it, so quit that fluttering!

(They did not.)

I left Real Job about five minutes early (oh the shame) to ensure that I'd be there at least ten minutes before class, adrenaline humming. Waltzed into the classroom, began chatting with the woman who normally teaches at that time-slot, slowly realized that my mentor wasn't there and then realized...

No camera.

No. Camera.

Apparently wires of communication had gotten crossed somewhere (not to mention my mentor turned out to be ill, which is why she was missing) and there was an Equipment Presence Failure. So after a few minutes of "Holy crap!" scrambling between myself and the regular instructor, it was decided that I'd just go ahead and teach the whole thing by myself, anyway.

And so I did.

I'm pretty proud of myself, actually. I held it together, didn't fall off stage or anything. It was my first time using a headset mic (the class I normally teach is in a smaller studio and doesn't require a mic) so that was a bit of an adjustment, but for the most part I felt really good about it. And the other two instructors who were attending said such nice things to me that I think I couldn't have been that bad. More telling, none of the Regulars was shooting me dirty looks (members are way more harsh in their judgments than instructors, believe it or not) so it really must have been fine.

(Actually, you know what? Screw false modesty. I did well, and I know I did well 'cos I felt it in my gut: and while I wasn't perfect I was a damn site better than most people with the same level of experience. So yay me.) (And if my hands were shaking at any point, at least my voice wasn't.)

And then, since my mentor was ill, I headed up stairs to teach the next class, too. So now my quads are griping at me, but in a good way. And I'm pretty sure I used up most of my nervous energy on today (for nothing, I might add), so whenever the time comes to actually shoot my video, I'll be calm, cool, and collected as a cucumber.

(I know, I know... tell it to the butterflies...)

No comments:

Post a Comment