3.27.2010

Moms and Manuscripts

As you may remember, last Saturday was my birthday. The Saturday before that my Mom and step-dad came up to Birmingham to take Nathan and I out for lunch, to celebrate about halfway between our two birthdays. While we were out at lunch, Mom and I started to discuss A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I had read at the urging of my cousin, and Mom had read at my urging once I had finished it. We had such a lovely time discussing the book that I decided we should make a concentrated effort to talk about books more frequently.

Flash forward to this week, when I was watching Becoming Jane, and deciding that I really did need to re-read Pride and Prejudice (bizarre fact- I never actually read that book until I was well into my twenties. For some reason I'd thought it was going to be insufferable, and then of course it turned out to be so, so wonderful...). I mentioned as much to my mother, and she said she thought she might have a copy around the house I could borrow if I liked. I told her that was okay, because I was pretty sure I had a copy, as well- of course, it turned out we were both wrong, and so I ended up getting a copy from the library. But as I stared at that copy last night, I was struck by a sudden inspiration- mom and I should both re-read it, and then discuss it! Yes, a tiny book club of two was just the thing! And so I did not start re-reading last night, I valiantly held off so that I could make the proposition to my mother that we both go purchase the book (so we could make notations in the margins without guilt) and then discuss in a semi-academic manner. Such brilliance! Anyway she agreed, so now we both have shiny new Penguin editions, and have scheduled our discussion of Volume One for April the 10th (would be next weekend, but Nate and I will be in North Carolina).

I am very, very excited. So excited. You have no idea. None. I have yearned for a book club for years, but it is hard to find people who both shared my interests and my level of intellect (what's that, you can't read the type around my big head? Sorry...). Mom fulfills both needs nicely, and moreover I think it will be incredibly interesting exercise in getting to know the non-mother/daughter parts of one another's brains.

In all likelihood I'll be posting some of my reactions and such (to P&P, I mean), so make certain your loins are thoroughly girded for literary discussion. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. Neat. That does sound like a lot of fun. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete