11.23.2018

Judith Slays Holofernes, PtXXIII

At the risk of repeating myself, again I must say- there is no question.  My Potential is Potential no longer, but truly a Slayer Called. She accepted my diagnosis with the same calm demeanor she has always accepted everything, and we have intensified her training accordingly.  It is truly a wonder to behold the physical feats a Slayer is capable of, and it makes me realize that loyalty to her people or not, she cannot remain in Bethulia.  There is nothing here for her to fight, and while I might personally prefer to keep her in an environment where she might live forever, it would be a disservice to the world, and more importantly to her.  It would be a waste, and my Slayer hates waste. As do I.

In a way the timing could not be more perfect, with Holofernes all but at the gates.  I think perhaps we will go on a scouting mission of our own, and discover the truth behind the rumors of his demonhood.  I find myself hoping they are true, for it is very clear what a Slayer must do when confronted with a demon, but less so when confronted with a mortal man.

The Elders are meeting almost daily now, preparing for the seige, and I make it a point to be an invisible presence at the meetings, that I might report back to my Slayer.  Her need for sleep has diminished sharply, whereas mine remains the same, and the day will soon come, I fear, that I confess to her I cannot keep up this schedule. It may be time for her to show herself once more to the people of Bethulia.  She may not be an Elder, herself, but she is much respected among the populace for her piety, and I know they would not begrudge her a place at the table, to listen if nothing else. Perhaps I will broach the subject tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment