11.14.2018

Judith Slays Holofernes, Pt XIV

This evening’s Hunt was… I hesitate to say “disaster”, because we both emerged alive, if not unscathed, but it was not what I would call a “success”, either.

We waited until after the majority of the household had gone to bed before we slipped out of the house.  That was fairly easy for her- she is familiar with the ins and outs of her own dwelling, and my time as a servant has taught me still more.  Moreover, she is quite good at making herself small and unnoticeable, and her dark clothing blends as well with the shadows as I once predicted.

Escaping the city walls without being detected was a slightly greater challenge.  If she was Called already it would have been easy- she could have scaled them effortlessly.  But she is not yet called, and besides, I was with her. So we had to rely on my cobbled-together knowledge of the aquifers, and in the end I had to call a guidance spell to get us out.  It made me realize that we need to do more of our training down there, learning the many passageways that run through the mountains.

Once we were far enough from the Bethulia not to be seen by any scout, I began my lesson on tracking.  We found trace of many mundane animals- lions, snakes, rodents- but it took several hours before we came across marks that puzzled my ward.  They looked like they might have been made by a rooster’s claws- if a rooster had talons the span of a human’s feet.

“What makes marks such as these, Ku-Aya?” she whispered.  I knelt and studied them closer to affirm what my sinking stomach already knew.

“Shedim,” I said- and then it attacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment