11.19.2018

Judith Slays Holofernes, Pt VIX

I of course sent immediate word to the Council-In-Exile.  I cannot imagine they’re not already aware of a new god attempting to emerge, but better they be told twice than not at all.  It’s been several months, now, and I’ve not heard back. But perhaps I won’t. Their machinations really have no impact on what we do here, after all.


And what we do here, is train.


My ward did not need it spelled out for her that she will be Called, although she did revisit the topic of how.


“You say you do not know how the Choosing occurs,” she said to me.  “And I believe you. But now I will ask you what I perhaps should have asked in the first place: what triggers the Choosing?”


“The death of the previous Slayer, my lady,” I said, looking her straight in the eyes.  She nodded, as if it was what she had expected.


“Who is the current Slayer?” she asked.


“I do not know her name.  She is an Egyptian.” She nodded again, considering this.


“Not so far from here, in the great vastness of the world,” she mused.  “And where are the other Potentials?”


“We know of dozens, my lady, scattered across the known world.  We theorize there are others we have not been able to find.”


“And yet the Shedim feels certain that of all the dozens, I am the one who will be Called.”


“Perhaps not right away, my lady.  Perhaps…”


“Perhaps there are a few more deaths between me and mine?”  She gave me a wry smile. “Perhaps.” She shook her head as though to clear it, then pulled the tablt from my hands.  “But I am taking time which could be better spent in study.”


She has take to spending more time with the priests, as well, which at first I begrudged her, until I realized what she was doing- learning from them all of her people’s Old Ways of dealing with demons, and the proper ways to call upon her God of gods for assistance in such matters.  If the priests thought it an odd subject, they gave no hint, and I have taken to listening in carefully, and adding to my small library when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment