11.01.2018

Judith Slays Holofernes, Pt I

Happy NaNoWriMo!

Just like the past few years, my goal this year is not so much "50k words in 30 Days!" as it is "Write at least 10 minutes every day!" and "Post it without editing so that you're forced to keep moving!"  Like a literary shark, baby!

This year I decided I wanted to try my hand at fan-fiction, and a friend of mine suggested something set in the Buffyverse, so here it is- a Buffyverse fan-fiction of Biblical Proportions.

***

You will have noticed, of course, the gap in my Diaries.  It has been more than a year since I last wrote, and much has happened in the interim,  more than can reasonably expected to be recorded, especially by one such as I who has been so often disciplined for wasting clay on needless descriptions.  So I will prove that I can, in fact, be brief, and provide a summary of what occurred:

Sennacherib destroyed our City, and we fled.

But you see, that is not very satisfying- there is so much more to know, so much more that is important to this moment in time, this moment in which I have taken up the mantle of Watcher, and am making my way to the mountain town of Bethulia to find my ward.

Let me try again.

Sennacherib burned Babylon to the ground, and all of us- Council and Academy alike- fled, salvaging what Diaries and artifacts we could.  We were forced to abandon much of it, and our scryers cannot tell what may have survived. Sennacherib, it seems, has magic users of his own.

Aside from the horrific loss of life and destruction of property, his timing derailed a Project that was in its earliest, most fragile stages.  The Council had just located the most recent Potential, a young Jewess, and preparations were being begun to send a Watcher to her, my classmate Hassimir.

Hassimir was killed during the invasion, and all our thoughts were on our own survival.  Besides, the girl was only eleven years old- unlikely to be Called any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment