11.17.2018

Judith Slays Holofernes, Pt XVII

I moved swiftly, not being hampered by having to search for signs of creatures that might or might not b there, and the sun had not yet breached the horizon when I’d found my way back to the little cluster of trees.  The Shedim was no longer among their branches, but I saw tracks that indicated the way it had gone. They were uneven and dragging. It would not last much longer.


I found it at the top of the next rise, sprawled on its back, wings stretched awkwardly out to frame itself.  In the pale morning light I could see that beneath it’s liberal coating of desert dust, its scaled skin was not just pearlescent, but actually iridescent, as were the feathers on its wings.  Its markings put me in mind of a buzzard, bands and stripes of dark copper against pale. It lay so still that I thought perhaps I’d taken too long in my journey, but then it’s parched lips moved.


“Come to finish me off, Watching One?” It opened its eyes to look at me, and I saw they were black and glittering as the night sky.  Staring into them made me feel dizzy, so I looked away.


“If you wish it, I will,” I said, and I meant it.  There was no reason for it- for any creature- to die suffering.  We always emphasize to our Potentials the honor of a clean kill. The creature let out a dry laugh.


“It may yet come to that,” it said.  “But that’s not why you came.  I can smell it on you.  Questions, always questions.  Go on then- what future do you want to hear?  I might just oblige you, in return for the promise of that knife you wear at your ankle.”


“I didn’t come for fortune-telling,” I said.  “The earlier demonstration you gave was enough to convince me that you’re exactly as cryptic as any other method of divining the future, and I’ve no time for additional riddles.  I want to know what did this to you. What destroyed your flock?”


It gave another little laugh, which dissolved into a wracking cough, so I slipped the water skin I carried off my belt, and poured a little down its throat.


“You’re an odd one,” it said at last.  “More clever than the last of your kind I met.  But then, you’re female, aren’t you? Unusual, for a Watching One.”


I said nothing, but stared at it meaningfully until it gave out another little chuckle.


“I suppose I must tell you,” it said, “Since I’ve seen it.  Your little Judaean Slayer-Who-Will-Be has a role to play in the vengeance of my people- and yours, too, oh yes she does.”  It took a deep, shuddering breath, and closed its eyes before continuing, “There is a new god trying to awaken in the north.  He has yet not ascended, but he is no less dangerous for it, having amassed more power, both martial and magical, than most mortals dream of.  He seeks ever to recruit for his army, or at the very least seeks allegiance, assistance, and tribute. But my people know only One god, and will bow to no other.  The little godling did not like that response, and sent one of his demon generals to demonstrate his displeasure.” It opened its eyes again, holding my gaze with its own.  “We were more than three score, Watching One,” it said, voice cracking with grief. “Warriors all. And it cut through us like we were nothing, down to the youngest fledgling.  The godling does not like to be told ‘no’, and neither do his generals.”

No comments:

Post a Comment