4.22.2016

Karial 02

It's my turn again!

***
Past

The day-to-day rituals of the Rift Priestess are not so mysterious as a young novice might imagine, and do not make for a fascinating chronicle- but chronicle I will, as is required.  For if I do not record the mundane, how will the daughters to come have the proper context in which to place and understand the extraordinary?

I rise as the light dies, to fulfill the first and most sacred of my duties; consulting the [oracle?].  This is no difficult task, in fact it does not even require I leave my bed, as I wear the device on a chain around my neck, always.  In this way, if the wheel begins its tell-tale whirling during the day, I might be woken to react appropriately.  It has remained still since my arrival, however, be it during the long hours of bright daylight, or the more comfortable darkness of night, and yet I examine it carefully every time the tide shifts, for that is what the Rift Priestess does: watches the [oracle?] for signs of a coming traveler.

The sister who served before me mentioned that she never was called on to receive a traveler during her time here.  She said it almost apologetically, and I have to wonder what Winial’s reaction to such news would be: relief that travelers are not that common, or concern that surely one must now be due.  I tried to accept the information as I have been taught: to make it a part of myself without spending undue time worrying over the implications.

The consulted, I tend next to the body of the temple itself, scanning carefully for signs of erosion, cracking, or other weakening.  Twice now I have had to coax the [living flame?] to make repairs, although neither instance was more than a hairline fracture.  Still, as my mothers are so fond of saying, even kisses hatch in time[idiom?], and if the temple falls the Rift becomes more unstable still.  Best not to chance it.

After the temple I turn my attention to myself, for how can I guide travelers if I fall ill?  I must be sound in body, mind, and spirit, and so I train each in turn.  I practice the forms, I read the chronicles, and I meditate.  Depending on what my food stores look like, I will hunt, or tend the garden, or perhaps both.  And if I have time enough left before the day grows too bright, I explore.  Sometimes the surrounding areas, but more often the temple itself.  You never know where a traveler might appear, or wander into, and I feel it prudent to be familiar with all potential paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment