7.15.2012

Proverbial Wisdom

Here is an old woman, and also some other things that I doodled in my sketch book while listening to today's sermon on Proverbs.

I like the book of Proverbs, because it reminds me a great deal of the Tao Te Ching.  Which is to say, I find a lot of applicable wisdom in there.  Of course, I also find plenty that I feel free to ignore, but that's true of the Tao Te Ching, as well.

 Today's Grand Adventure was going to America's Largest Antique and Collectible Show.  I went not because I had any real interest in the event, but because some friends of mine needed some extra hands to break down their stall after the fact.  I got there a little early, and they encouraged me to look around a bit before things shut down.

"Why not," I shrugged.  "Sure, it's not really 'my thing', but there could be cool stuff."

Oh.  Oh Gentle Readers.  'Cool stuff' abounded.  Here is the text exchange between Nathan and myself as I walked through one stall with some extraordinary jewelry:

I am having to stuff my inner crow under very firmly under my arm. 

Don't put anything in your mouth please. 

It is difficult.




(and it was)


Antique jewelry I might have expected myself to be attracted to (especially a gorgeous Egyptian-revival headpiece from the 1920s)- same thing with old photos and letters.  These are things for which I have a weakness, and I am aware of that fact.  But other things- other things I think I just wanted because there were so many of them.  A collection of glass floats in nets?  Yes please.  A bag full of old skate keys?  Gimme.  A bucket overflowing with wrenches of all sizes: some shiny; some rusty?  I need those things!  I tell you what, it's a good thing I'm actually in a purging mood right now (the garage is getting it tomorrow) because if I'd been in an acquisition mood I'd have been so screwed.  I really came quite close to running to the ATM on behalf of an old prohibition-era poster advising me that if I didn't want my daughter to marry a drunkard I'd better get rid of the drunkards...

1 comment:

  1. Heh, heh, heh, heh ..... Welcome to the dark side .... we have antiques ..... ;-)
    Anonymous Mom

    ReplyDelete