7.28.2012

Crossfit Field Trip (or: Once Again I am a Black Sheep)

There were no crossfit classes this morning, because the Portland 5k Foam Fest was going on.  So, naturally, I joined my box's team ("The Dirty Snatches") and showed up to get my obstacle-run on.  A breakdown in communication meant that I didn't have a cool, home-decorated unicorn shirt like the others who ran in my heat, but that's probably for the best, since when it comes to me hanging out with those guys, it's more like this:
Hint: I am the one in black.


The mollifying part, however, was that they stuck to the whole "we are a team" thing, and waited for me.  A lot.  Because running is not my forte.  It was super frustrating, because the obstacles were not nearly so scary as I thought they'd be, and I got through them with no problem (minus the one time I forgot to take my ankles into consideration and got a mild electric zap, which led to a mud-muffled expletive not-so-deleted) but I just... couldn't keep up with the run.  Apparently my cardio endurance is for **expletive deleted**.

Black sheep, indeed.

And then, of course, I had to do what I do so well, and roll my ankle whilst running downhill, which caused me to take a somewhat-spectacular fall and my teammates (who were, again, waiting patiently at the bottom of the hill for me) to let out satisfyingly-horrified gasps (hey, I take my comfort where I can).  Fortunately it wasn't so bad, and a bit more walking (plus a trip down a super-long-and-steep-and-foam-covered-slip-and-slide) made it feel better enough for me to start running again.  And I felt somewhat smug because I had pinky sworn Nathan not to tear my ACL again, and I kept that promise.  (Again- comfort where I can.)

Speaking of Nathan, my handsome husband had come along to take photos, and at one point he actually ran a little bit with me.  What a good, good man.

Eventually I made it to the end, where I was given a medal (I'm not much for "participation medals", but I do like that it's shiny) and the cutest race shirt I've ever seen (it's actually cut for ladies, for starters).  Also there was a banana and some water, and a hand-towel which I thought was a great souvenir.

I had a lot of fun (minus the parts where running was making me want to die), but it was a pretty serious wake-up call, too.  Even if I didn't have the motivation of new running shoes to make me get up and run, this would have done it- because as much as I do not enjoy running, I even more do not enjoy not being able to run.

Baaa.

1 comment:

  1. You MUST! make this shirt and wear it to Crossfit. :-D
    Anonymous Mom

    ReplyDelete