7.08.2012

Proud to Be

My Katie called me up around noon.

"Hey, are you guys going hiking today?"

"Probably.  Why, you got a hankering to come along?"

As it turned out, she had an out-of-town guest hanging out with her, and thought it might be nice to show off some of the gorge.  So I suggested we do Oneonta by way of Pony Tail and Horse Tail, because that's nice and impressive without being over-taxing (Isis was feeling unwell, and we didn't want to leave her at home or push her too hard).

We picked the two of them up, and learned that her guest is French, and spending a few months tooling around the US.  Further conversation revealed his itinerary, which Nathan and I both approved of (I'm sure he's relieved...), his studies (engineering- all the engineering), and various other tidbits.  He was very smart, funny, polite, and interested in everything, and I give him big thumbs up for representing his countrymen in such a fine manner.  I can only hope we do so well on our own journeys...

And I tell you what, Gentle Readers- there is nothing so good for re-kindling one's excitement for one's country and culture quite like having a tourist to drag around.  I was proud to the point of smug over how beautiful and interesting our sprawling country is, and when I picked out music for the car ride back I chose bluegrass, "Because it's so uniquely American!"  (He said he liked it, but that might have been the afore-mentioned politeness)

It makes me even more wiggly with anticipation about going to Ireland in a few months, and immersing myself in a foreign geography and culture (foreign-ish, I guess).  Nothing like travel to stir up the spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment