4.27.2011

Dodging Oz

As some of you are probably aware, Alabama got hit by some pretty serious tornado action this afternoon- especially downtown Birmingham, where we used to live.  There was about half an hour there where Nathan and I were waiting a bit pins-and-needle-ishly to hear from our family- and I, being the person who handles stress the way that I do, told everyone to go ahead and let me know if they got swept off to Oz, because we'd send out a rescue party with flying monkeys and everything.

Last we heard everyone was fine, which means that I am now allowed to let myself feel sick and freaked out.  I like to save this sort of thing for after the crisis, you understand- once there's actually time to indulge in weakness.  But for the past few hours while I was busy being "Meh, I'm sure everything's fine," I channeled my energies into this:



Guess who discovered how frickin' easy it is to create a pattern?

It actually sprang from this doodle in my sketchbook:

Is my underdrawing showing?

which I did while Nathan and I were watching  Scrubs after dinner.  I'd originally planned to do some rewriting, but my brain was not in the right zone.  But hey- if you can't be disciplined one way, be disciplined in another, right?  Right.

Speaking of which, I'm about to cut waaaay back on the refined sugar.  Just as soon as we finish off the last of the cupcakes...

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about your art process here, but strangely I'm having a difficult time coming up with the actual question I want to ask.

    Plus, yay for your friends and family's fates being tornado proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay INDEED. You can pick my brains about process over bagels, okay? Also, I've done a fair bit of re-writing on the first part of the manuscript, so I may bring that along for you, as well...

    ReplyDelete