4.05.2011

Year Two

Today is my two-year anniversary- that's cotton, for you traditionalists- and I have to say we celebrated in style.  Last night I suggested going out to eat in celebration, and as I was further suggesting that Nathan might get online and see if there were any restaurants he might like to try I had a brain flash-

"Marrakesh!" I blurted.

"What?"

"We're going to Marrakesh," I said, trying not to let myself be overwhelmed with delighted memory.  How could I have forgotten Marrakesh, home of my beloved Moroccan Soul Food?  Nathan, always down to try new things (especially when it comes to food), agreed readily, and it was a date.

After work I got all sexied up (in a dress conveniently without waistline) and we headed into town, found parking, and entered the restaurant.  I got the fun of watching my 6' husband fold himself down onto a floor cushion (he gallantly let me have the couch, since I was wearing a miniskirt), and couldn't help but feel smugly superior over the girl whose date refused to do the same.  Our waiter came over, poured water over our hands, and the five-course meal began.

First up was harira, a lentil soup not quite so good as that of Makarios, in my opinion, but still damn fine (and for those who actively enjoy tomato in their soup, it might be better).  It was followed by a cooling salad that seemed to be composed primarily of cucumber, tomato, and cilantro, with a large helping of what we think may have been spiced ground chickpeas (although we could be wrong) in the center.  After that was an appetizer called B'stilla Royale, which in theory is something that Nathan should hate: phyllo pastry stuffed with ground chicken and scrambled egg, and dusted with powdered sugar and cinnamon.  Yes, in theory it makes his gag reflex kick in, but in practice- oh my.  He kept saying, "I'm waiting for this to gross me out, but it's just too good!"  I, on the other hand, was too busy stuffing my face to comment.  Although I was, perhaps, a little disappointed that he liked it, since it meant I didn't get the whole thing to myself...  talk about a perfect blend of savory and sweet...


After that we had a bit of a wait for our main courses, so we sipped our Moroccan beverages (Casa Beer for Nathan, and a red wine whose name escapes me for me) until at last they brought out the Couscous Marrakesh (couscous with vegetables and lamb) and Breka Vegetarian (phyllo stuffed with potato and herbs- basically like a samosa- served with a sort of vegetable stew).  Cue further noises-of-joy, although both of us had to leave our dishes half-uneaten (thank you, to-go boxes).  Once that was cleared away, the waiter poured orange-blossom-water over our hands, then served us a warm, delicate mint tea (poured from "up top" ie, four feet above the glass) and our desserts: a not-too-sweet pudding topped with shaved coconut and almond.  It was the perfect, light-weight ending to such an elaborate meal.


We rolled ourselves out of the restaurant and I suggested swinging by Powell's, where we each bought the other a book: a sort of anniversary-bonus-gift, since our real gift to one another was to go in together and buy grownup towels.  Bath sheets, to be more accurate, because Nathan was longing for a towel large enough to get lost in.  They're due to arrive sometime next week, so expect further squeaks-of-glee to follow.


So yeah- two years down, and I must say I still think it was the best decision I ever made.

                                                  (...although what's up with this picture?                                                   It didn't look this weird and grainy on the camera...)  

1 comment:

  1. I think you look darling. Jealous/Happy you got to hit up Marrakesh. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete