4.12.2011

Kink's Not Dead (and Other Rambling Brain Dumps)

So it turns out that Kink's woes are nothing more serious than a LUTI, which is a great relief all around.  I know he's ten and all, but I'm just so not ready to deal with his mortality yet.  Nor, I think, is Nathan ready to deal with me having to deal with it.  And so I've been cheerfully squirting (I kid you not) banana-flavored amoxicillin down the cat's throat twice a day and paying way more attention to his litter habits than I might prefer.

I spent a chunk of time working in "the studio" today (AKA "David's Room", because that's where we've put all the stuff we hauled up for him) getting it to the point where you can see the floor.  It's not really "done", per se, but then again neither is anywhere else in the apartment.  The painting continues (Nate's actually adding a second coat of "whisper yellow" to a living-room wall as I type), and I'm thinking we may make an effort to get up some art in the hallway this week.  Lofty goals, I know...  anyway it's almost to the point where I wouldn't be desperately ashamed to have people over, so maybe I'll put together a little dinner party for next month...  we shall see.

I get the feeling I will be spending a great many weekends over the next few months "tweaking".  As I mentioned to Nathan today, I've never in my life put so much effort into my dwelling.  ("Yeah, but it really needs it," he replied, narrowing his eyes at the hideous expanse of "cool khaki".)  And it's true that I no longer cringe when I look around from my perch on the couch, so that's something- not having to cringe while in your own home, I mean.

Nathan's man-date went well: each proved to the other that he doesn't suck with a guitar, and it's looking like Nathan may start playing regularly during service.  Which, I suppose, is how one tumbles into a church (you must understand it's my first adult experience with it.)  I'm really glad- I wanted very much to find a community for Nathan outside "my friends", and this is definitely a good way to do that.  Of course, I'm also a little nervous- I kind of  feel like I'm there under false pretenses, not being Christian and all.  I can't help but feel like I'm walking around in a giant Lie of Omission by not blurting it out to everyone I meet:

"Hello perfectly nice Christian person I'm shaking hands with!  My husband is one of Your Kind and is currently playing up there on the stage.   But although I am blending quite well I am not actually Your Kind!  I am a filthy, filthy heathen!  Coffee?"

On the one hand I feel like it doesn't really matter- I'm not there as an Angry Atheist or anything; I'm there as a wife supporting her husband in something very important to him (and something he has made it clear is in no way mandatory for me).  I'm interested in theology, and in gaining a better understanding of my husband's religion, so a church seems like a pretty practical way to further my knowledge of both.  But on the other hand... it does kind of feel like a big deal to be sitting around in my imitation sheep's clothing without letting them know that my teeth are actually quite pointed- regardless of whether or not I plan on using said teeth.  Religion is a very casual thing for many of my friends, but not so much, I think, for these people- and it somehow seems wrong to not correct any false impressions they might have.

Of course, I also think that maybe I can do my part as "non-jerk-non-Christian".  You know, just be me and have people like me for me and then when they find out I'm not Christian they have a nice little example of how not all secular people are hateful... much as several of my friends did their part as "non-jerk-Christians" for me back in the day.  Yeah, it really wasn't all that long ago that I was still being shocked that self-described Christians could actually be kind, loving people...



(...let's face it- the world could use more instances of "non-jerks", regardless of theological affiliation- or lack thereof...)

No comments:

Post a Comment